The Illawarra Business College has been approved to provide training under the NSW Government's Smart & Skilled program.
Smart and Skilled is a reform of the NSW vocational education and training system. Under Smart and Skilled the NSW Government contributes to the cost of each course with the student paying the balance.
You may be eligible for Smart and Skilled Funding if you are:
- 15 years old or over, and
- no longer at school, and
- living or working in NSW (or an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person living in specific NSW border areas), and
- an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen
- or are a NSW apprentice or trainee
Smart and skilled Policies and Procedures
The Policies and procedures relevant to our Smart and Skilled Program are included in the information booklet below:
Smart and Skilled includes funding for qualifications ranging from Certificate II level through to Advanced Diploma.
Traineeships and apprenticeships for some qualifications are also available under the Smart & Skilled program.
The Illawarra Business College has places for training through Smart & Skilled throughout NSW in Business, Business Administration, Leadership and Management, Hospitality, Commercial Cookery, Aged Care and Disability.
Eligible Students who haven’t completed a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification are entitled to enrol in a subsidised course up to Certificate III.
- Apprenticeship and selected new-entrant traineeship qualifications at all levels.
- NSW apprentices and most new-entrant trainees may be eligible for a government subsidy for the training.
- Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma full qualifications.
- Eligible Students can enrol in subsidised training at Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma level, depending on the availability of funding for these courses.
- Pre-vocational and part qualifications, including skill sets.
- More information can be found at the Smart and Skilled website or call The Illawarra Business College on (02) 9791 6555 to find out if you are eligible for Smart and Skilled funding.
For more information Hospitality Smart and Skilled programs
For more information Community Services Smart and Skilled programs
For more information Business Services Smart and Skilled programs
What is a Traineeship?
A traineeship is an employment-based training program which may combine college study (called off-the-job training) with employment and on-the-job training. Traineeships are designed to give the trainee entry level skills into the chosen industry.
The trainee enters into a formal training agreement with the employer, similar to apprenticeships. This training agreement sets out the conditions of employment. This agreement also sets out the rights and responsibilities of both the trainee and the employer. The trainee will earn wages while gaining invaluable work experience.
Traineeships are available across a wide range of Industries, with Government organisations and in the private sector. During the traineeship period, the trainee will accumulate a broad range of work skills to industry competency standards.
As traineeships are nationally recognised, the trainee will be able to have his/her skills recognised anywhere in Australia. At the completion of the traineeship the trainee receives a Certificate of Proficiency from the Government plus a statement of subjects completed at The Illawarra Business College.
If the trainee only finishes the on-the-job training, he/she will receive a Certificate of Completion.
There are also benefits available to the employer who employs a trainee. These benefits vary between employers, so it is best to ask for assistance and clarification of these benefits if you are an employer looking to employ a trainee.
Traineeships have been designed to provide flexible employment-based training programs to develop the skills of employees in their field of employment.
The Illawarra Business College offers you a choice of Traineeship Pathways to enable you to choose the appropriate training program to suit your business.
Our commitment to flexible, industry-relevant training offers you three distinct pathways, or you may like to combine various strands.
- Off-the-job (Institution based)
- Off-the-job (Distance education)
- On-the-job (Flexible workbased)
Contact The Illawarra Business College to arrange for a work site visit by one of our qualified assessors and CHOOSE your traineeship.
Students or customers wishing to find out more information about the Smart and Skilled Program should contact: Ross McAlear, Manager - Smart and Skilled Programs on 02-9791-6555.